This Chickpea Bisteeya is a heavenly dish inspired by the cuisine of Morocco. It has complex flavors of cumin, coriander, and allspice combined with dried fruits and chickpeas, which are all coated in creamy coconut milk. This dish is definitely worthy of a central spot on your special occasion table.
Serves 6 - 8
- Thaw puff pastry in the refrigerator and preheat oven to 400F.
- Mash one can of chickpeas with a potato masher and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook until soft - approximately 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the coriander, cumin, allspice and cayenne until well combined. Add the vegetable broth and reduce the heat to low.
- Into the onion mixture, stir in the mashed chickpeas, coconut milk, peas, raisins, apricots and prunes. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, approximately 5 minutes. If the mixture becomes too thick, add more coconut milk.
- Remove from heat, stir in the second can of chickpeas, cilantro, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt and allow to cool.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry, stretch slightly with a rolling pin and place in the bottom of a large pie or cake pan. Trim the edges of the puff pastry to fit the pan, using the trimmed scraps to patch areas the crust does not fit.
- Spread the cooled filling into the pastry lined pie pan and sprinkle the almonds on the top.
- Arrange the second sheet of pastry on top and crimp the edges to seal. Poke a few holes in the top of the pastry to vent.
- Bake for 40 minutes, cut into wedges and serve.
The recipe was adapted from Robin Robertson's Chickpea Bisteeya printed in VegNews 3/13.
2 15 ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 rounded teaspoons grated ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 cup vegetable broth
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, plus more if needed
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped pitted prunes
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sheets vegan puff pastry
1/2 cup slivered almonds
Moroccan Chickpea Bisteeya