A family favorite for many years, BLT Salad is wonderful to enjoy in the middle of summer when cherry tomatoes are at their most flavorful. The "B" in this case is a product I recently discovered, Benevolent Bacon from Sweet Earth Foods.
Serves 2 as dinner, 4 as a side salad
Takes approximately 20 minutes to prepare
1 large head leafy green, red or Romaine lettuce
2 cups baby spinach
1 package Benevolent Bacon, Fakin bacon, or Smart Bacon
2 Tablespoons peanut or organic canola oil, divided
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, about 25, halved
1/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (Just Mayo is divine!)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons agave nectar
1 - 2 Tablespoons water
Freshly ground pepper
- Give yourself time to wash the lettuce and let it air dry. Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and toss with the spinach into a large bowel.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium. Add "bacon" and cook according to instructions on package in two batches. When the bacon is cooked, set it aside on paper towels. When it is cool enough to handle, chop or crumble the bacon.
- Without wiping the skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and turn the heat to medium high. Cook the cherry tomato halves until they soften and release juices.
- Add the tomatoes and bacon to the bowl of lettuces. Toss with the dressing and serve.